If you have decided that your dream home doesn’t exist yet, so you are going to design it and have it built from start to finish, congratulations! You have taken the first step in the home building process. Now the hard part comes in. Building a home that is right for you and your family can be an intimidating task; however, with careful planning and consideration, it can also be an extremely rewarding experience. If you have kids and pets, when it comes to building your new home, you have some additional things to consider.
Feeling overwhelmed? You shouldn’t. With the right home building team, your ideal home will be created from the ground up with as little stress as possible for you and your family. We are going to review some key steps to help guide you through the process.
Things to Consider When Building a Home that is Right for You and Your Family
When it comes to your Northeast Ohio home, it can be difficult to find one that is right for you and your family, so sometimes building a new one may be the very best option. The possibilities are endless when building a new home, and if you have children and pets, you have a lot of additional things to consider that preexisting homes may not.
If you decide that creating your perfect home out of ground is the best choice, you are among the minority. By building your dream home, you will be able to enjoy just how custom your newly built home can be and how much easier creating something fresh usually is than trying to fit a square block into a round hole.
Below we review some of the key steps you should consider when building a home that is right for you and your family.
1. Location: When choosing a location for your home, consider factors such as proximity to schools, work, parks, and shopping, as well as the overall safety and quality of the neighborhood.
2. Home Building Team: Building a home can be a complex process, so it's important to hire a professional home building team that you trust to help guide you through the process. They can offer valuable insight and advice on everything from design to construction. Finding a Northeast Ohio building team that you can bring your vision to and they will deliver upon it, is key.
3. Design: When designing your home, be sure to customize it to fit your specific needs and preferences. This can include features such as extra storage, a finished basement or attic, laundry or mudroom, a home office, and/or an outdoor living space for entertaining. This is where your children and pets come into play. There are some additional things you should think about in this step.
- Layout: The layout of the home should be designed with children and pets in mind. Consider open spaces for play, rooms that can be easily converted into activity areas, and adequate storage for toys and equipment. Think about creating a pet-friendly room where your pets can rest, play, and eat. This can include features such as built-in feeding stations, pet beds, and storage for food and toys.
- Safety: Safety is a top priority when building a home that is right for you and your family. Make sure that all electrical outlets are childproofed, stairs have railings and are easy to navigate, and any sharp corners or edges are rounded or covered.
- Number of Rooms: Keep in mind the size of your family, or the size of your future family, and make sure your design includes enough bedrooms for each member and the occasional guest. Don’t forget to add enough bathrooms. A common rule of thumb in the real estate industry is that there should be one bathroom for every two bedrooms; however, this can vary based on homeowner and preference.
- Outdoor Spaces: Outdoor spaces are important for kids and pets to play and explore. Consider features such as a fenced-in yard, a play set or swing set, and an area for outdoor games and activities. Your house’s outdoor living space should be an extension of your home, so be sure to consider it when designing and building a home that is right for you and your family.
- Storage: Adequate storage is essential in a home with kids and pets. Consider built-in storage solutions, such as closets with adjustable shelving and drawers, as well as storage solutions for toys, games, and outdoor equipment.
4. Upkeep and Maintenance: Building a home is a long-term investment, so it's important to consider the maintenance and upkeep required for your new home. This can include regular cleaning, landscaping, and repairs. When you are working with your home builder to create your dream home, be sure to ask them questions about quality, warranties, etc., so you can ensure you are creating a home that you can sustain well into the future.
By following these key steps and the guidance of your home building professional team, you can build a home that is not only beautiful, but also functional and customized to fit the unique needs of you and your family.
Looking to build a home that is right for you and your family in Northeast Ohio? Building a new home is not an easy process, but we are here to make it as enjoyable and comprehensive as possible. Whether you already have your plot of land in mind or need help finding one, we have the team in place to handle site selection, zoning, and design and engineering.
At Sanctus Builders, we are committed to helping you create a home that is as unique and custom as you would like. Your design and layout choices will be an integral part of the process. Once blueprints are finalized and approved, we will handle all aspects of the build while keeping you informed every step of the way.
Contact us to get started today.