New Year, new home? The New Year is here, and if you are like most people, you likely have some goals and ambitions around your home, finances, family, and many other things. The start of 2024 can be the perfect time for a fresh new beginning around your Northeast Ohio home. If you have been putting off home upgrades, now is the perfect time to begin the adventure. We are going to review some of the most important things you can do to plan for successful updates and help you start the year off right with your home renovation projects.
Tips for Planning Successful Home Renovation Projects
Whether you are looking to remodel something simple like a laundry or mudroom, thinking about a kitchen upgrade, or planning for a complete home renovation, how you plan for any project, big or small, can make all the difference. Any home renovation can be a huge undertaking with many different pieces to consider, from finding your perfect contractor, to how to survive in your home while renovations take place. With so many items to plan for, we have gathered our best tips to ensure your project goes as smoothly as possible.
- Learn from the past. Before you start planning for your remodeling project or projects, think about what you have learned has worked for you, your home, and your family in the past. What hasn’t worked? Let the previous years help you set the tone for the things you know you like and dislike about your current home arrangement. Are the living spaces too close to bedrooms? Are your hallways too narrow? Do you have enough counter space in the bathroom and kitchen? Knowing what has and hasn’t worked for your home can really be the driving force behind what needs to change.
- Know the end goal. Like all New Year’s resolutions, there should always be an end goal in mind, something you can check off to consider your plan a success. Before you decide how extensively to renovate your home, you should know what your objective is. Are you renovating to raise the resale value of your home, or will you be staying there for years to come? Do you plan on expanding your family, if so, will you have enough space after the projects are complete? Know which renovations are a good return on investment. Having a specific plan in place for your future will help you decide how far to go with your remodeling projects.
- Set a budget. This can be one of the least exciting parts of a home renovation project, but is definitely necessary, especially at the beginning of the planning phase. Setting a budget and sticking to it is key during a renovation. It is best practice to set aside a contingency fund for unplanned repairs and unexpected costs, and expect to use it. Also, plan on the indirect renovation costs that might arise during the renovation, like dining out more, keeping items in storage, or staying in a hotel for a few nights. It can be easy to want an extremely high-end renovation, but perhaps all you need are some lower cost upgrades that will make your home look more luxurious. Do your research and plan your budget before beginning your projects.
- Understand current trends and if they are right for your home. If you are taking on a home renovation, no matter what the size, it’s important to understand what is trending and in style. You don’t want to add certain finishes and then have them date your home just a few years later, and you also don’t want to get too entranced by the latest trends only to find that they don’t stand the test of time. When it comes to a home renovation, you want to ensure you will love the finished product for as long as possible, so it's best to choose timeless designs, and decorate with decor that you can easily update as the times and styles change.
- Find the right renovation partner. Perhaps the most important decision you can make when it comes to planning for your home renovation projects, is finding the right partner to complete the work. This is your home, so you should find a qualified home renovation team that is capable of bringing your dreams to life. Check out reviews from past clients and schedule a consultation and see if you mesh well and have similar visions. You will truly want a partner in this process, so you need to select a company to work with that knows the best ways to achieve what you envision, all while keeping it within your budget and timeline.
When it comes to your home renovation projects, there are a lot of things you need to do to plan for them, but it should not be a stressful experience, it should be an exciting time and the beginning of something new. We have reviewed some of our best tips to helping you get started with your remodeling planning, but as you get further along, there are other things you will need to think about that we don’t want to burden you with today, as they are all things that we can help with.
At Sanctus Builders, we know that your home remodeling project, no matter the size, is important to you. A full home renovation can transform your Northeast Ohio home, and partnering with people who you can trust to complete the job, can make all the difference. From reconfiguring your home's layout, to basement finishing and remodeling and custom outdoor living spaces, Sanctus Builders is changing the Cleveland area one home at a time.
Contact us today to get started on your renovation dreams and to start 2024 off with some sparkling new spaces in your home.