The first day of autumn will be here in a few days, and for Northeast Ohio homeowners, that means more time indoors is on the horizon. Our unpredictable and often unforgiving weather forces us inside more and more throughout this time of the year, making having ample space for entertainment and just overall living, more important now than ever. If your home has a basement, like many Ohio residences do, are you making the most of it? If your basement is just sitting vacant or being used for storage, you could be missing out on valuable square footage in your home. Would your home benefit from a finished basement?
Would Your Home Benefit from a Finished Basement?
In Ohio, we are no strangers to the below ground additional living space known as the basement. In fact, we are one of the areas throughout the country where nearly 50% of the homes have this space; however, that doesn’t mean that everyone utilizes the extra square footage to their advantage. If your home’s cellar is just another area you tend to avoid because it isn’t up to your standards, should you change that? Would your home benefit from a finished basement?
There are several benefits to having a finished basement in a home. These include:
- Additional Living Space
- Increased Property Value
- Flexibility and Versatility
- Entertainment and Recreation
- Privacy and Seclusion
- Storage Space
- Energy Efficiency
- Storm Safety
- And More
Along with their benefits, when it comes to this below ground area of a home, the possibilities are really endless. Here are some common uses for a finished basement:
- Family Room or Entertainment Area: Converting the basement into a comfortable and inviting family room or entertainment area adds additional places for you and your family to live. Set up a cozy seating arrangement, a home theater system, a gaming zone, and a bar to create a space for relaxation and fun.
- Home Bar or Wine Cellar: As mentioned above, a basement makes the perfect location for a stylish home bar or wine cellar. Install a bar counter, shelves for glassware, a wine rack, and seating arrangements to create a space for entertaining guests or indulging in your passion for wine or whatever else you may prefer.
- Home Office or Study: You can transform this space into a quiet and secluded home office or study area. Set up a desk, shelves, and adequate lighting to create a productive workspace away from the main living areas.
- Guest Suite: You can create a welcoming oasis of a guest suite in your finished basement. Include a bedroom, a private bathroom, and amenities like a sitting area or a small kitchenette to offer your guests a comfortable and private space to stay.
- Additional Bedrooms: Much like this space can be great for a guest room or suite, if you need extra bedrooms in your home, you can convert the finished basement into one or more bedrooms. This can be particularly useful for growing families and having a home that is right for you and your family.
- Gym or Fitness Area: Utilizing your basement for a home gym or fitness area is a perfect use of this space. Install workout equipment, mirrors, rubber flooring, and sufficient ventilation to create an exercise space that suits your fitness routine.
- Playroom or Children's Area: You can use this space to design a dedicated playroom or children's area. Incorporate toy storage, a playhouse, a craft area, and child-friendly furniture to provide a space where kids can play, learn, and explore.
- Hobby or Craft Room: You can reserve this space for pursuing hobbies or crafts. Whether it's woodworking, painting, sewing, or any other hobby, customize the finished basement to accommodate your specific needs and provide ample storage for supplies.
- Storage and Utility Area: Utilizing the basement for storage purposes is very common, but you can take it up a notch. Install shelves, cabinets, or built-in storage solutions to keep items organized and maximize the space. You can also dedicate a portion of the basement for housing utilities such as laundry machines, water heaters, or HVAC systems.
You can transform the basement and attic in your Cuyahoga or Lorain County home to make them into some of the most used and favorite rooms in your house. Whether you are looking to add a guest bedroom and bath, theater room, custom bar and entertaining space, a home office, or something else, with our basement and attic remodeling services, Sanctus Builders can transform your wasted spaces into beautiful living spaces that add value to your home and provide additional areas for you to live. Contact us today to learn more.